Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

New Particle Identified At LHC 164

First time accepted submitter m4ktub writes "A team of researchers working with the ATLAS experiment at the LHC have published an article in arXiv where they describe what is believed to be the first observation of a new particle: the boson Chi-b (3P). Professor Roger Jones, Head of the Lancaster ATLAS group, said 'While people are rightly interested in the Higgs boson, which we believe gives particles their mass and may have started to reveal itself, a lot of the mass of everyday objects comes from the strong interaction we are investigating using the Chi-b.'"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

New Particle Identified At LHC

Comments Filter:
  • Re:Chibi Higgs? (Score:4, Insightful)

    by Kjella ( 173770 ) on Thursday December 22, 2011 @11:17AM (#38460260) Homepage

    That is extremely misleading. You could say the same thing about any isolated particle. Firstly, we are talking about the gravitational force carrier, not just 'mass'.

    Maybe I'm confused here but isn't the gravitational force carrier the theoretical graviton, which should be a massless spin-2 particle? Which is different from the Higgs boson, which according to the standard model is a spin-0 particle with mass? I thought the Higgs boson was more like the "source" of gravity, like the poles of a magnet which generate a magnetic field. I'm confused :)

  • by cyberchondriac ( 456626 ) on Thursday December 22, 2011 @12:26PM (#38461036) Journal
    I wish I was an engineer in the Star Trek universe. 95% of every friggin' technical problem is immediately solved by "rerouting power" somewhere or reversing polarity. The other 5% were fixed by "modulating the frequency".

"Well, it don't make the sun shine, but at least it don't deepen the shit." -- Straiter Empy, in _Riddley_Walker_ by Russell Hoban