Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop


Forgot your password?
United States Science

U.S. Science and Engineering Research Flattens 273

Invisible Pink Unicorn writes "The National Science Foundation is reporting that the number of published U.S. science and engineering articles plateaued in the 1990s, despite continued increases in funding and personnel for research and development. This came after two decades of continued growth. Since then, flattening has occurred in nearly all U.S. research disciplines and types of institutions. In contrast, Asian and EU research had significant increases in this period. They do point to one positive for the US, however: article quality. According to one of the researchers, 'the more often an article is cited by other publications, the higher quality it's believed to have. While citation is not a perfect indicator, U.S. publications are more highly cited than those from other countries.'"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

U.S. Science and Engineering Research Flattens

Comments Filter:
  • Re:Also (Score:5, Funny)

    by arivanov ( 12034 ) on Friday July 20, 2007 @06:02AM (#19924693) Homepage
    I recently heard a excellent joke from a friend of mine who still works in scientific research:

    Q: What is an American University?
    A: This is a strange place where Russian professors teach Chinese students in English.

  • by 140Mandak262Jamuna ( 970587 ) on Friday July 20, 2007 @08:34AM (#19925523) Journal
    I am surprised most sloshdotters assume the reduction of science and engg research in USA can be explained in purely Darwinian terms like scientists migrating to where they like to work, competition to get name recognition, commercial rewards, the weeding out and selection based on such rewards. Nothing could be farther from the Truth, (capitalization is intentional).

    It is best explained in Intelligent Design paradigm. We the clergy have been intelligently molding the public opinion against all knowledge in general and science in particular. Let us not forget that we were banished from the Garden of Eden because we tasted the Fruit of Knowledge. We have already convinced 55% of America that Evolution is a hoax. Pretty soon we will have the other 45% too. Then it is party party party time for us. We will tell everyone what they should do and how they should live and we get 10% of their paychecks. And much more than 10% from the sinners, by selling them indulgences!

    The pagan, nature worshipping, Linux running, Open Standards promoting, Microsoft bashing, Apple fanboiing slashdotters might think it is a bad thing. But they are the minority. We are the majority. We will use their own Democracy to steal the nation from them! That will teach them.

"For a male and female to live continuously together is... biologically speaking, an extremely unnatural condition." -- Robert Briffault