Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Space

Submission + - 'Perfect' Mirrors Casted for LSST (bnl.gov)

eldavojohn writes: The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (partially funded by Gates & Co.) announced a world record casting for its single-piece primary and tertiary mirror blanks as they were created at the University of Arizona. From the announcement, "The Mirror Lab team opened the furnace for a close-up look at the cooled 51,900-pound mirror blank, which consists of an outer 27.5-foot diameter (8.4-meter) primary mirror and an inner 16.5-foot (5-meter) third mirror cast in one mold. It is the first time a combined primary and tertiary mirror has been produced on such a large scale."
This discussion was created for logged-in users only, but now has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

'Perfect' Mirrors Casted for LSST

Comments Filter:

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...