Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Enlightenment

Submission + - Free will an illusion? (wired.com) 1

siddster writes: "This just out in Wired...

Brain Scanners Can See Your Decisions Before You Make Them

Haynes updated a classic experiment by the late Benjamin Libet, who showed that a brain region involved in coordinating motor activity fired a fraction of a second before test subjects chose to push a button. Later studies supported Libet's theory that subconscious activity preceded and determined conscious choice — but none found such a vast gap between a decision and the experience of making it as Haynes' study has.

In a study published Sunday in Nature Neuroscience, researchers using brain scanners could predict people's decisions seven seconds before the test subjects were even aware of making them."

This discussion was created for logged-in users only, but now has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Free will an illusion?

Comments Filter:

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...