Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Science

Submission + - Bacteria-Killing Viruses Wield an Iron Spike (sciencemag.org)

sciencehabit writes: Scientists have long known that a group of viruses called bacteriophages have a knack for infiltrating bacteria and that some begin their attack with a protein spike. But the tip of this spike is so small that no one knew what it was made of or exactly how it worked. Now a team of researchers has found a single iron atom at the head of the spike, a discovery that suggests phages enter bacteria in a different way than surmised.
This discussion was created for logged-in users only, but now has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Bacteria-Killing Viruses Wield an Iron Spike

Comments Filter:

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...