Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
The Internet Transportation Science

Avoiding Red Lights By Booking Ahead 299

Posted by Soulskill
from the might-get-bumped-if-they-overbook dept.
RedEaredSlider writes "Peter Stone, associate professor of computer science at the University of Texas at Austin, has presented an idea at the AAAS meeting today for managing intersections: a computer in a car calls ahead to the nearest intersection it is headed towards, and says it will arrive at a given time. The intersection checks to see if anyone else is arriving then, and if the slot is open, it tells the car to proceed. If it isn't, it tells the car that the car remains responsible for slowing down or stopping. He says that even with only a few connected cars, the system still works, even if the benefits are still only to those who have the connected vehicles."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Avoiding Red Lights By Booking Ahead

Comments Filter:
  • by topham (32406) on Saturday February 18, 2012 @07:55PM (#39088905) Homepage

    Tell that to the people in my neighbourhood who don't have a clue how to deal with a roundabout.

  • by alphatel (1450715) * on Saturday February 18, 2012 @08:11PM (#39089045)
    I do this as well. It's called Booking Ahead, as in Hit The Gas. Beats the red light everytime.
  • by ColdWetDog (752185) on Saturday February 18, 2012 @08:30PM (#39089213) Homepage

    Scary, isn't it. We had a roundabout put in one of our major intersections about a year ago (to much wailing and rending of garments). Perhaps 90% of drivers picked it up in the first few weeks. The other 10%, well, all I can say it's a shame that speeds are so low that we'll never get rid of them via traffic accidents. We just have to find some better way.

    Nobody really liked my idea of putting forks in some power outlets to see who would pull them out.

  • by sco08y (615665) on Sunday February 19, 2012 @12:07AM (#39090485)

    Good rant, but a few nitpicks:

    1. No, the usage of 'fail' was entirely appropriate.

    Defined by popular usage, FAIL means "there was a slight incongruity between what was promised and what was delivered, and by the way, I'm slightly retarded." (For comparison, EPIC FAIL is the same as FAIL, with the addendum, 'and I shat myself.')

    If the speaker had meant to imply that the system really didn't perform, he would have written that it performs "literally."

    2. If you ask one thousand experts about your great idea, you'll find that 990 of them aren't experts, 9 of the 10 remaining will only tell you all the ways it can't work, and the last guy will try to steal your idea.

You can do this in a number of ways. IBM chose to do all of them. Why do you find that funny? -- D. Taylor, Computer Science 350

Working...