Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Math Transportation Science

Mathematicians Solve the Mystery of Traffic Jams 629

mlimber writes "Do you ever find yourself in a traffic jam, thinking, 'Man, there must be a bad accident up ahead,' but as you plod along you see no evidence of any crash? Some mathematicians have solved the mystery by developing a mathematical model that shows how one driver hitting the brakes a little too hard can cascade into a backup miles behind. The mathematicians' future research will investigate how automatic braking systems may alleviate the problem."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Mathematicians Solve the Mystery of Traffic Jams

Comments Filter:

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...