We will rebuild the detector. There is no question. The strategy may be the following two steps, which will be proposed and discussed by my colleagues.
1. Quick restart of the K2K experiment.
- (1) We will clear the safety measures which may be suggested by the committees.
- (2) reduce the number density of the photomultiplier tubes by about a half.
- (3) use the existing resources.
- (4) resume the K2K experiment as soon as possible; the goal may be within one year.
- (1) Restore the full Super-Kamiokande detector armed with the state-of-the-art techniques.
- (2) The detector will be ready by the time of the commissioning of the JHF machine.
director, Kamioka Observatory
On behalf of the Kamioka Observatory staff